Monday, November 3, 2008

About my Nickname

Let's explain why I chose James Wilkinson as my nickname. It might seem stupid, I know.

I had to choose a nickname in order to start my blog. I was thinking about it when I saw my razor blade, that is made by Wilkinson Sword. I thought it would be a good surname to my nickname and I took it. But I needed a first name... I was testing some names and I thought James was fine... so.. I decided that James Wilkinson would be my new nickname. I assumed it was possible there was someone with the same name in the world, but I did
n't think it would matter...

Last week, across the big pond asked me about the cause why I'd taken this nickname. He told me James Wilkinson was a veteran of the American Revolution. It seems he was involved in the Conway Cabal, a conspiracy to replace George Washington with Horatio Gates as commander-in-chief. Furthermore, he opposed the new U.S. Constitution, fought for the Kentuky's separation from Virginia, signed an expatriation declaration and, finally, swore allegiance to the King of Spain... what a conflictive man... what a controversial nickname...

I've been researching into it and I've found another James Wilkinson. His complete name was James Hardy Wilkinson. He was an English scientist and he carried out exceptional contributions on the numerical analysis. The J. H. Wilkinson Prize for Numerical Software and the Wilkinson's polynomial are named in his honour.

To summarize, I
chose this name without knowing who James Wilkinson was... so... don't think this nickname has a political connotation or something like that, because probably there are a lot of people with this name in the world.

James Wilkinson

4 comments:

Nuria Vidal said...

That's the way to go! Interesting reasearch, interesting views. Going to the end!

-He was AN English SCIENTIST ("scientific" IS AN ADJECTIVE)
-there ARE a lot of people (YOUR ENGLISH IS EXCELLENT, CAREFUL WITH THIS ONE; PEOPLE IS A PLURAL NOUN. IT SHOULD HURT YOUR EARS!!!)

James Wilkinson said...

"Across the big pond"... an engineer from Miami... it rings a bell... hehehe

How are you???!!! And your family??? I haven't seen you for ages!!!

Thank you very much for your comments, I haven't heard about James Wilkinson.

My mother has told me you will come here this year... is it true? I'm looking forward to your visit... I hope you will keep me up with it.

See you soon.

Across the big pond said...

Long time no see - plan on seeing you all this summer.

Been fine and hope for the same at your end.

Your picking of the name "Wilkinson" from Wilkinson Sword razor blades and "James" from the common name and thus stumbling across the duplicitous soldier and adventurer #13 James Wilkinson, was an act of brilliance.

I'm impressed with your English - It's a whole heck of lot better than many of the engineers at work. But, then again engineers have never been known for their proficiency in grammer.

Brynn Avon said...

Mr, ejem, Wilkinson, I'm a friend of your relatives so I guess you dont know much about me, how ever, let me congratulate you for the efforts to 'dominate' the Shakespeare's language, commonly knewed as the Brit's tongue, hahahaha. I do coincide with other comments appeared here about your level of English..., simply outstanding !, keep on that. How ever I suggest, surely you do, to stick to Brit or American movies, newspapers or magazines as much as you can, this way you will increase the intuitive perception and concept of an English speaker. Its not that easy, but phrasal verbs are the clue.
By the way just a short comment about democracy and the USA. Of course the idea to stick to one philosophy may appear as obsolete on the other side but why should we have two parties then? We should then stick to programs and leaders, instead.
I agree with you that USA is an advanced democracy, Europe is pledged to the ancient concepts of left and right wings, but USA cannot be understood as a democracy at full, yet. In many states the right to vote is limited to men, landlords or simply to employed people. That has to be fulfilled yet, but on the other hand is the one man, one vote accounting the same value in a democracy?
Cherio
Ps. Funny story about your nick :-)