Sunday, October 26, 2008

Is the Daylight Saving Time really Beneficial?

As you know (well, I'm sure there's someone who forgot it), last night at 3 a.m., our clocks moved back one hour to 2 a.m.

I want to start a discussion about the time's change. The wintertime represents one hour more of daytime in the morning and one hour less of daytime in the evening.

On the one hand, some studies say that in wintertime energy consumption decreases. I think this decrease is small, by a small margin. After all, main industries work 24 hours a day.

On the other hand, the fact that it becomes dark early causes stress and depression. And both things might decrease the productivity. Besides, if it's dark, people do less exercise and their health gets worse.

It's not worth my while to change the time in winter. I would prefer keeping the summertime all the year. What's your opinion about this?

James Wilkinson

10 comments:

Nuria Vidal said...

Congratulations!
Welcome to the class community. I will soon be back to make some comments on the language.

Anna said...

I don’t like the time’s change. I am like a cow.

Rip Van Winkle said...

I just follow nature. I go to sleep when my body asks it and get up when I had enough, and sometimes it can be centuries if sleep (like the last time). Nature is the mirror to look at. But it has changed too much by men.

Nuria Vidal said...

My very lengthy comment has just disappeared. Could you please try to have the option where the comment is written on a different window. I wouldn't like that to happen again!

See if I can do it again. I said that I am not very fond of daylight saving time. On the other hand I hate getting up when it's so dark.

See my language comments:

-Use the expression "DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME" instead of "time change"
-one hour less of daytime IN THE EVENING.
-some studies say THAT IN wintertime ENERGY CONSUMPTION DECREASES.
-I think this DECREASE
-people DO less exercise and their health GETS (YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT HEALTH, NOT THE PEOPLE) worse.

James Wilkinson said...

Thank you very much. To follow every post must be really difficult.

Across the big pond said...

Daylight savings time - sometimes I love it sometimes I hate it.
It really depends on what you do and how beneficial it is to you.
On another note, why did you pick the name "James Wilkinson"? He was quite an interesting guy.

James Wilkinson said...

An interesting guy? Sorry, I don't know who he is. I've invented the name, but I assume it's normal there's someone with this name in the world. I'll research into it.

Across the big pond said...

I'm referring to American General James Wilkinson, a veteran of the American Revolution and George Washington.
Wilkinson was involved in several interesting intrigues, including the so-called "Conway Cabal," a conspiracy to overthrow George Washington.
At one time Wilkinson worked for the Spanish government in America and signed an expatriation declaration, swearing allegiance to the King of Spain.

Nuria Vidal said...

It'd be nice to write your comments, to the people who coment on your blog, on their own blogs, not on yours. They might not read you and you will loose the interactive part of this game/exercise.
Just a suggestion...

James Wilkinson said...

"Across the big pond"... an engineer from Miami... it rings a bell... hehehe

How are you???!!! And your family??? I haven't seen you for ages!!!

Thank you very much for your comments, I haven't heard about James Wilkinson.

My mother has told me you will come here this year... is it true? I'm looking forward to your visit... I hope you will keep me up with it.

See you soon.